HARWICHPORT, MA – The former Thompson’s Farm Market in Harwichport, MA changed hands in mid October 2008. According to a filed deed, the purchase price was $2,250,000 and the buyer was Building Down the Road, LLC. In a recent report published in the Cape Cod Chronicle the buyer was indicated to be affiliated with South Harwich based Back Office Associates, an information technology firm specializing in SAP data solutions. This notable piece of Cape Cod commercial real estate was vacant at the time of sale and was previously listed for sale on the open market for approximately two years.
The property is located on the north side of Route 28, across from Saquatucket Harbor and Brax Landing. The 33,000 square foot building, situated on a 1.92 acre parcel of land, was erected in 1989 originally as Thompson’s Farm Market. The first floor contains approximately 16,500 square feet of retail and merchandise storage space. The layout of the 16,500 square foot second floor includes about one-half office space and a bakery/commissary in the remainder. Following the closing of the independent market, in recent years the ground floor space was occupied by various local retailers and the upper level was utilized as the offices of the Wychmere Harbor Club.
The upscale market was erected by Dr. J. Richard Fennel as a later offshoot to the original Thompson Brothers Clam Bar, a popular Cape Cod eatery formerly located at the end of Snow Inn Road on Wynchmere Harbor. Despite generations of loyal patrons since the 1950’s, the original clam bar closed in about 1996. Although a new Thompson’s was subsequently established at the corner of Bank Street and Route 28, the eatery eventually transitioned and the Thompson Brother’s Clam Bar legacy essentially ended here. Many will also remember Thompson Brothers Clam Bar from the famous “Hey Where Ya Going?” radio jingle found in this YouTube video.
Postcards by Hannau-Robinson, NY, NY; Joseph P. Egan Collection